Celebrating turning 25 has brought a new wave of clarity and time to relfect on this short, sweet timeframe, and it's safe to say that there’s been a lot of beautiful things and not so beautiful things happen! From competitive sports, a university degree, a bunch of other qualifications to match my indecisive personality, moving overseas, starting a business, plus some break ups and internal struggles scattered throughout, it’s a been a crazy 25 years!
But I’m grateful for these years for what I’ve learned, and the best thing about being 25 is that I’m still learning. Each day, is an opportunity to discover something new about myself and the world around me, grow and set the next 25 years up a little wiser than the previous. I’ve been inspired to share a few lessons I’ve learnt along the way.
1. There is more than one way to do something - we’re all walking our own paths, and though some destinations might be similar, there is no limit to the amount of ways to get there.
2. Serve from the saucer, not your cup - look after yourself first, fill your own cup, and give everyone the overspill.
3. Food is your friend - I learnt this one the hard way, but food truly is not something to fear, but rather something to enjoy and use as fuel for a banging life.
4. Say yes more – opportunities are everywhere and in order to find the things you like and don’t like, you should be open to new experiences. It’ll be hit and miss, but better an “oops” than a “what if”, right?
5. Say no more than you say yes - in this day and age, particularly, we’re bombarded with people and tasks dragging us one way and the other. Be mindful of your priorities and respond accordingly. Saying “no” to unnecessary or undesirable situations, will allow you the time and chance to say “yes” to the things you would rather do.
6. Keep an open mind - ask more questions and be open to learning. You’re going to have to check your ego often but being open to being wrong and keeping space for new information is so important as you move forward!
7. Listen to your intuition - we hold a lot of answers within us without realizing and we can learn alot by being aware of the energy we pick up on It's a journey learning to tap into your gut feeling and trusting in yourself, but its a lesson that is worth learning.
8. Quality over quantity - friends, material items, time spent , EVERYTHING. We don’t need as much as we think we do and it’s worth being grateful and taking care of what you have already will bring more happiness than the relentless pursuit of more.
9. Overcommunicate - people aren’t mind readers – communicate, communicate, communicate! Whether you study love language, communication styles or just speak more honestly (with respect, of course), your relationships with everyone will be far better for it, and you'll feel more fulfilled.
10. Time is the one thing you own and yet, don’t own at all. - make the most of it! This precious life is made up of fleeting moments, do your best to curate those moments into pockets of happiness, connection, adventure and fulfillment.
11. Find your tribe - there is 7 billion people in the world, don't freak if your tribe isn't in your hometown neighborhood. Explore the world, meet lots of people, and when you find them, hold onto them and love them with everything you've got.
12. Empowered women empower women - I never really understood why some girls were so catty and tear each other down. As I have gotten older, I have really embraced this motto. As you get older, you should realize that girls are like a team, and we need to stick together and build each other up. Follow lessons #2 and then lesson #11.
13. Hot showers fix everything - Going through a break up? Hot shower. Long day? Hot shower. Not sure what the purpose of life is? Hot shower.
14. No one owes you anything - your life is your responsibility, and there is a magical, positive power in that! Human potential is nearly limitless, but it takes hard work. If you want something, you’ve got to go get it! The good news is that you can!
15. Who you were at 20 doesn’t define who you are at 25 - life is this miracle experience, and, at any given moment, you can choose to pivot! Test things out, remove seek yourself every single day, and don’t be afraid of change. As long as your growing in the right direction, it’s all good, baby.
16.Document your life - write, journal, take photos, make videos. These memories are precious, and you’ll want to remember ALL of it.
17. Love what you do - life is too short to spend most of your time not doing something you enjoy. It’s actually not unreasonable to want a career you love, or at least, like. Refer to lessons, 1, 6, 10 to get started.
18. Embrace 'failures' - they are necessary. Keep learning, keep growing. It’s not about what happens to you, it’s how you deal with it.
19. Time heals most wounds - enough said really
20. If you don’t ask, you don’t get - to get what you want, or at least a chance at it, you’ve got to put yourself out there, and live your life deliberately. Again, no one owes you anything.
21. Cultivate an abundance mindset - Stephen Covey, the man who coined the term itself, defines an abundance mindset as, “a concept in which a person believes there are enough resources and successes to share with others.” Not only does this practice help you to live an unlimited, full and satisfying life, but also helps you to feel secure and confident in your life with the positive outlook to reap more successful outcomes in future endeavours.
22. The grass isn’t always greener on the other side - and it is a waste of time looking over the fence. The best thing you can do is understand that we are all human and we have to do the best we can with what we have.
23. You’re not going to be friends with everyone – some people are just not for you, and that’s okay. There’s plenty of fish (and friends) in the sea!.
24. Always be kind – as Maya Angelou said, “people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel”. Kindness is one thing that will never go out of style, sprinkle it everywhere!.
25. It really is a small world – this world is full of vastly different landscapes, perspectives and lifestyles, but underneath it all, the human experience is not unique. Everything we do also affects the planet on a larger scale, we have so much potential as one, to change the lives of millions. Travel as far and wide as you can, be conscious and have fun!.